I’ve had the ice cream maker bowl in the freezer ever since we made the banana sorbet with chocolate sprinkles, and I’ve been actively seeking a reason to use it again. I was inspired today when we got a lovely flat of ripe peaches from Costco.
P ate his way through three of them leaving a juicy, sticky trail of finger prints all over the kitchen, then he gleefully helped me occasionally stir the peaches as they simmered.
The boys helped me puree the fruit with the sour cream, heavy cream, extract and lemon juice, and then we put it in the fridge to chill. Well after bedtime I put it in the ice cream bowl, and churned it into a velvety, creamy consistency.
I’ve promised Oliver I’d hold off on scooping it out until snack time tomorrow, he’s pretty excited about the end result. I did sample a little as I was putting it into the freezer and I’m pretty excited about it too.
Peach Ice cream
- 1 1/3 pounds of ripe peaches (about 4 large)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a few drops freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Peel peaches, slice in half, remove pits and cut into chunks. Cook with water in medium saucepan over medium heat, covered, stirring once or twice until they’re soft and cooked through (about 10 min.)
- Remove from heat, stir in sugar. Cool to room temperature.
- Puree cooked peaches and liquid in blender/food processor with sour cream, heavy cream, vanilla and lemon juice until almost smooth.
- Chill mixture in the fridge (8+ hours) then freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacture’s instructions.
From The Perfect Scoop, by David Lebovitz p. 89