Every now and then when the boys drive me absolutely crazy I send them out to the backyard to search for Unicorns. I used to send them out looking for gnomes, but that backfired.
I’m fairly sure one day they’re going to find a unicorn, and then I’m not sure what I’m going to do, but until then I’m going to enjoy a few moments of peace and quiet while they’re out searching.
Until such time as they do find unicorns, I plan to “find” the occasional unicorn poop cookie (recipe below the cut) to continue the notion that there may be real unicorns visiting the yard. We have deer, wild turkeys, large domestic cats, and large domestic dogs which wander in the back orchard, why not have unicorns visiting us?
I’m also considering making some out of salt dough and hiding it in the yard once the weather dries up a bit.
UNICORN POOP COOKIES – from Facebook
- 1 C. sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 50 gram cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- Combine butter, shortening and cream cheese in a large bowl, beat together until smooth. Add sugar and salt. Beat until combined. Beat in egg and almond extract until combined and gradually add the flour beating until combined.
- Form dough into a ball with your hands and then into a log shape, divide the log shape into six portions (or how ever many colours you want).
- Place each portion of dough into individual bowls and tint the dough different colours.
- Chill tinted dough in the refrigerator 1 hour or freezer 15-20 minutes.
- Divide each tinted chilled dough ball into 8 equal pieces.
- Take one piece of each colour dough ( leaving the rest in the fridge while you work) and roll out like a rope or snake on your counter-top. If you use a piece of waxed paper on the counter, you shouldn’t have to add any flour.
- Roll the rope shape to about 6 inches long. Continue rolling all the colours and stacking them into a pile. Gently press the ropes together and roll the large multicoloured “rope” on the counter to round and smooth it and if desired to lengthen it to 10 to 12″.
- Cut the multicoloured “rope” into two pieces, using both hands, roll with your palms in different directions on both end of the rope pieces to twist it gently.
- Coil the rope into a poop shape, using your imagination as to what you think unicorn poop should look like
- Press in some silver candy balls (dragee) into the dough pieces to decorate if desired. Place dough on greased cookie sheet (or one covered with parchment or silicone mat) and bake at 375F for 8-10 minutes until cookies are set and bottoms are light brown, they will not spread very much.
- Cool on wire rack.
- 12. Coat with sparkle gel and/or disco dust to give them some sparkle and add some sprinkles to the still wet gel for more texture. Let cookies dry completely before stacking.